Hong Kong International Mathematical Olympiad (HKIMO) 2019
(For Students from Grade 1 to 13)
- As you know we could not hold the Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition 2019 on the scheduled date due to various reasons including the security situation in the country. Now we are planning to have the competition in September but we don’t have the exact date as the Department of Examinations Sri Lanka has to confirm a date in September.
- Because of this postponement our students do not get the chance to go to HKIMO 2019 through SLMC 2019 as HKIMO2019 is going to be held duringAugust 30 – September 2, 2019.
- So we have decided to hold HKIMO Heats, the preliminary round of HKIMO, on June 29, 2019from 9 am to 10:30 am at the University of Colombo for a limited number of students. At the University of Colombo an interactive session on HKIMO 2019 will be held after the competition from 11:00 am 12:30 pm. Only the first 450 students who register will get the chanceto participate in this interactive session.
Certificates and Awards>
- Every student who participates at the HKIMO Heats receives a certificate of participation and hasthe opportunity win Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. These certificates of participation and medals will be awarded by the following institution in China:
- Olympiad Champion Education Center
- Room 309-310, 8 Jordan Road, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, CHINA
- Tel (852) 3153 2028 / 9310 1240 Fax (852) 3153 2074
- This institution will send SLOMF the certificates of participation and medals and we will award them at an awards ceremony here. Those students who win a bronze or a higher medal can go to HKIMO 2019scheduled to be held at the City University of Hong Kong on August 31, 2019 (Saturday).
- For further details on HKIMO click here.
- HKIMO is an Olympiad for every student who has some talent in mathematics, not just for those who have extraordinary talent in mathematics, and it is a wonderful opportunity for students to develop their talent in mathematics as this competition will be conducted here at 10 levels; primary 1 (grade 1), primary 2 (grade 2), primary 3 (grade 3), primary 4 (grade 4), primary 5(grade 5), primary 6 (grade 6), secondary 1 (grade 7), secondary 2 (grade 8), secondary 3 (grade 9), upper secondary (grades 10 and higher).
- All the competition papers will be set in the English and Chinese mediums by the Olympiad Champion Education Center in China. Each competition paper has questions from the 5 areas of logical thinking, arithmetic/algebra, number theory, geometry and combinatorics. Each heat paper is of one and a half hour duration and has 5 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 25 short questions. Each final paper is of two hours duration and has 6 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 30 short questions.
- For HKIMO Heats practice papers click here.
- Registration fee for a student at any level is Rs. 4000.00. Please note that this covers the cost for the certificates of participation, medals and the awards ceremony here in Sri Lanka.
- Registration closes on June 25, 2019. To register click here.
- For queries please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call WgCdr (rtd) P. Jayawickrama at 076 455 3219.
Notice on Postponement
Due to the security situation at the University of Colombo IMC Selection Test 2019 and the IMO Pool Selection Test 2019 have been rescheduled on May 10th from 9 am to 11:30 am and on May 13th from 9 am to 1:30 am respectively. Please read the following instructions:
1. Bring your national identity card, school identity card, postal identity card, passport or a photo certified by the principal/deputy principal of your school or Grama Niladhari of your area with you. Without an identification document you will not be able to enter the university premises.
2. You are expected to come in your school uniform.
3. Please come to the Reid Avenue (Philip Gunawardena mawatha) gate of the Science faculty at 8.30 am. For security reasons you will not be allowed to enter through Kumarathunga Munidasa Mawatha (Thurstan Road) gate. No vehicles will be permitted to enter the university premises. Only the student will be permitted to enter the university premises and no parent or guardian will be allowed to enter the premises. The exam staff will be present at the gate to escort students to the exam hall. The staff will accompany students back to the gate after the exam.
4. We kindly request all the parents to refrain from hanging around near the university gates and fences and parking vehicles at the Reid avenue or Thurstan road during the exam period.
5. You will only be allowed to bring pencils, pens, erasers, sharpeners, rulers and compasses to the university premises. Since no canteen will be available inside the science faculty premises you may bring a snack and/or a water bottle with you. Please be sure to bring all your items in a transparent bag (no other types of bags will be allowed).
IMO Pool Selection Test 2019
IMO Pool Selection Test 2019 – Results
IMO Team Selection Test 2019 – Results
IMC Selection Test 2019
Updated List of Selected Contestants
Past IMC Selection Test Papers
IMC Selection Test 2019 – Paper
IMC Selection Test 2019 – Results
Sri Lankan Mathematics Competitions 2019
Postponed tentatively to
July 6th from April 27th.
SLMC 8, 11 and 13 will be held on July 6th (tentatively)
from 10:30 to 12 noon.
Admission cards have already been sent by the Department of Examinations Sri Lanka by post – School candidates’ admission cards to schools and private candidates’ admission cards to home addresses. If you have not already got admission cards please send the following text to Wg Cdr (rtd) P. Jayawickrama at 076 455 3219:
Private Applicants: your name_pa_mobile no used to register
School Applicants: your name_school name_postal town_sa
Please note that SLMC 2019 can not be held on April 27 th due to the closure of schools till April 29 th . Also, due to Edexcel and Cambridge Exams scheduled during May 2 nd to June 24 th we cannot hold SLMC 2019 during this time period. So SLMC 2019 is tentatively scheduled on July 6 th .
IMO and IMC teams will be selected from the top 50 Performers at SLMC 2018 who satisfy the age requirements of born on or after July 2nd 1999 and born on or after August 1st 2002 respectively. Selection tests are tentatively scheduled as follows:
IMO Pool Selection Test 2019 (IMO PST 2019): May 12th from 9 am to 1:30 pm at University of Colombo
IMC Team Selection Test 2019 (IMC TST 2019): May 11th from 9 am to 11 am at University of Colombo
IMO PST 2019: Dr. Dayal Dharmasena (077 888 9929)
IMC TST 2019: Dr. Kaushika de Silva (077 350 6170) and Mr. Kapila Silva (077 912 4904)
Note: Selecting the IMO team has to be done on SLMC 2018 because there is no adequate time to do the selection from SLMC 2019. But in countries with strong IMO programs country’s IMO team is selected from an IMO pool selected previous year as it allows providing year-long training to the IMO pool and selecting the most motivated students for the IMO from the pool. So we will follow the same method this year by selecting an IMO pool for 2020 from SLMC 2019 later this year.
The Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition 8 (SLMC 8) is based on basic grade 6 mathematics and designed to let students have a positive experience in mathematics. All the students in grades 6-8, irrespective of their marks in mathematics at school tests, should participate in this competition. The Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition 11 (SLMC 11) and the Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition 13 (SLMC 13) are based on basic grade 8 and 11 mathematics respectively and designed to help students develop their mathematical thinking. Also, by participating in SLMC 11 and SLMC 13 students get the opportunity to participate in the international mathematics competitions TIMO, HKIMO, WIMO, IMC & IMO. For more details read the SLMC 2019 Booklets in the 3 languages.