NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES
Competition Notice HKISO……. (see below)
CA Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka Olympiad Mathematics Foundation kicks off ‘Chanakya’s Mind Games’ …
From Sunday Times [Education Times] – 3 Nov.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka (CA Sri Lanka) together with the Sri Lanka Olympiad Mathematics Foundation kicked off ‘Chanakya’s Mind Games’ an initiative aimed at developing out-of-the-box mathematical thinking, and mathematical abilities among the younger generation in Sri Lanka.
CA Sri Lanka has come onboard as the knowledge partner of ‘Chanakya’s Mind Games’ which aspires to be not just a mathematical puzzle but a puzzle intertwined with the history of mathematics and mathematical concepts that will promote unique thinking and problem solving among school students and the general public.
At a ceremony held at CA Sri Lanka recently, CA Sri Lanka officially came onboard as the knowledge partner of this initiative. The event was attended by CA Sri Lanka’s President Mr. Jagath Perera, Council Member Mr. Laknath Peiris, CEO Ms. Dulani Fernando and Senior Lecturer and Former Head of the Department of Mathematics of University of Colombo Dr. Chanakya Wijeratne, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Mathematics of University of Colombo Dr. Dayal Dharmasena, and Senior Lecturer of the Department of Mathematics of University of Sri JayawardenepuraDr. Thanuja Paragoda.
Research in mathematics education show that students’ incorrect beliefs and negative attitudes towards mathematics can negatively affect their performance in mathematics as well as career choices. Therefore, Chanakya’s Mind Games aim to contribute to positively changing such beliefs and attitudes amongst students.
TIMO & HKIMO Heats: Award Ceremony – 2019*
The Award Ceremony 2019 for TIMO and HKIMO Heats was held at the New Arts Theatre of University of Colombo on 2nd November. The event was organized jointly by SLOMF and Epsilon – Delta Society of the Mathematics Department, University of Colombo. The Vice Chancellor of University of Colombo Senior Professor Chandrika Wijeratne graced the occasion as the chief guest.
*Those who could not attend the ceremony and those who couldn’t collect from the maths dept. can collect their certificates/medals from the SLOMF branch office (Dehiwala).
Thailand International Mathematical Olympiad (TIMO)
Hong Kong International Science Olympiad (HKISO)
(For Students of Grades 1 to 13)
Sri Lanka team won seven gold medals while Seinul Asamdeen Arbith Ahamed became a World Star (Secondary 1 category) at TIMO finals held in Thailand on 6th April 2019.
1. Thailand International Mathematical Olympiad (TIMO) 2020 April 3 – 6, 2020 in Thailand
(Heat round competition completed)
2. Hong Kong International Science Olympiad (HKISO) 2020 June 25 – 29, 2020 in Singapore
Conducted by the Science and CT Cell.
HKISO 2020: 21st December [10:30 am – 11:30 am]
HKISO: will be conducted on 7th & 8th December (from 8 am – 4 pm) at Highlands College, Maharagama
Use the Signup/Login portal above for online registration.
If you have previously used the portal for online registration (as parent/Teacher) you can directly Login (using your mobile number as user name). Otherwise Signup first. Please note: Registrations closed for Workshop for the time being, portal will again be reopened on 8th for registration, for those who wish to compete.
Fees applicable per student (per competition) are as follows: Competition only: Rs. 3,500.00.
Payments: Deposit in favour of “Sri Lanka Olympiad Mathematics Foundation” Account Number 1034 6000 0185, Sampath Bank, Thimbirigasyaya Branch. Upload an image as payment proof.
Use the signup-login portal for Registration/Payment/To download admissions/To view Results. Write student’s name as the depositor in the deposit slip (for on-line transfers, mention student’s name in remarks).
CLOSING DATE FOR REGISTRATION:–
HKISO Heats:- 17 Dec (to compete only, Training workshop participation now closed)
For queries please call Director/ SLOMF Wg Cdr (rtd) P. Jayawickrama at 076 455 3219.
Hong Kong International Mathematical Olympiad (HKIMO)
(For Students of Grades 1 to 13)
Sri Lanka team won three gold medals while Rehan Adithya Weerakoon became a World Star (Primary 6 category) at HKIMO finals held in Hong Kong on 31st August 2019.
- HKIMO is an Olympiad for every student who has some talent in mathematics, not just for those who have extraordinary talent in mathematics, and it is a wonderful opportunity for students to develop their talent in mathematics as this competition will be conducted here at 10 levels; primary 1 (grade 1), primary 2 (grade 2), primary 3 (grade 3), primary 4 (grade 4), primary 5(grade 5), primary 6 (grade 6), secondary 1 (grade 7), secondary 2 (grade 8), secondary 3 (grade 9), upper secondary (grades 10 and higher).
- All the competition papers will be set in the English and Chinese mediums by the Olympiad Champion Education Center in China. Each competition paper has questions from the 5 areas of logical thinking, arithmetic/algebra, number theory, geometry, and combinatorics. Each heat paper is of one and a half hour duration and has 5 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 25 short questions. Each final paper is of two hours duration and has 6 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 30 short questions.
- For HKIMO Heats practice papers and answers click here.
Certificates and Awards
- Every student who participates at the HKIMO Heats receives a certificate of participation and has the opportunity to win Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. These certificates of participation and medals will be awarded by the following institution in China:
- Olympiad Champion Education Center Room 309-310, 8 Jordan Road, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China. Tel (852) 3153 2028 / 9310 1240 Fax (852) 3153 2074
Results – HKIMO Heats & Finals 2019:
HKIMO 2019: Results
Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition (SLMC)
Please click here
International Teenagers’ Mathematics Olympiad (ITMO) 2019
International Teenagers Mathematics Olympiad (ITMO) is a prestigious international mathematics Olympiad held every two years. It was last held in Philippines in 2017. This competition has the same structure as the International Mathematics Competition (IMC) but it is a better competition than IMC as the name suggests. ITMO is held at two levels:
Key Stage II (Grades 6, 7, 8)
Key Stage III (Grades 9, 10, 11)
ITMO is good for students to showcase their mathematical talent at an international level.
Aims of ITMO:
- Provide young students the opportunity to communicate mathematical ideas and reasoning through competition;
- Present an avenue for mathematical interaction and foster camaraderie and friendship among youths of the world; and
- Improve students’ higher order thinking skills through games and problem solving.
- Provide a supportive and stimulating environment for mathematics, innovation and education.
- Establish networks with international educational organizations for the development of teaching and learning of mathematics.
For further information click here.
International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)
Maneth Perera won a Bronze medal for Sri Lanka and the other five members of the team, viz., Ghaura Mahabaduge, Kisara Kodithuwakku, Sithija Kotuwewaththa, Sandaru Balahewa and Nelushi Vithanachchi all won Honourable mention awards at the just concluded International Mathematical Olympiad 2019 held in UK. Results
International Mathematics Competition (IMC) 2019
IMC Selection Test 2019
- IMC team was selected from the top 50 Performers at SLMC 2018 who satisfy the age requirements of born on or after July 2nd 1999 and born on or after August 1st 2002 respectively.
- Selected Contestants for IMC Team Selection Test (IMCTST) 2019: click here
- IMCTST Past Papers: click here
- IMCTST 2019 Question Paper: click here
- IMCTST 2019: Results
STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOU MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND
An Exciting Problem…
- To view the Problem: click here
- For the Solution: click here
Challenging Mathematics – Problem of the Week Competition
- A challenging mathematical problem is posted every week in the form of an MCQ, for you to try.
- To view the problem (and past quizzes): click here
- To compete, you should submit your answer before the deadline and should be below 18 on that date.
- Should submit both your answer (selected from five choices given), and your explanation.
- The first three
students to submit the correct answer with the most correct mathematical
explanation will get respectively:
- First Prize: Rs. 2000.00
- Second Prize: Rs. 1500.00
- Third Prize: Rs. 1000.00
How to Submit your Answer
- Three modes/options are available to submit your answers:
- Upload: click here
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send by registered post, to the address: Dr. Chanakya Wijeratne, Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka.
To view the answer and to join the forum discussion
- View the answer:
- You can view the correct answer after you submit yours with or without an explanation
- Join the forum discussion:
- Forum is open for discussion of the question when the dead line expires.
- To join the forum: click here
NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS
News and Posts