NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES NOTICES UPDATES
Maneth Perera won a Bronze medal for Sri Lanka and the other five members of the team, viz., Ghaura Mahabaduge, Kisara Kodithuwakku, Sithija Kotuwewaththa, Sandaru Balahewa and Nelushi Vithanachchi all won Honourable mention awards at the just concluded International Mathematical Olympiad 2019 held in UK. Results
Hong Kong International Mathematical Olympiad (HKIMO) 2019
(For Students from Grade 1 to 13)
HKIMO Finals will be on 31st August 2019 at the City University of Hong Kong. The 37 students who obtained medals in the Heat Round are eligible for HKIMO finals. Those who win a Gold medal at the HKIMO Final can participate in the WIMO in Tokyo, Japan scheduled to be held during 27-30, December 2019.
Previously on HKIMO . . . . . . .
- As you know we could not hold the Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition 2019 on the scheduled date due to various reasons including the security situation in the country. Now we are planning to have the competition in September but we don’t have the exact date as the Department of Examinations Sri Lanka has to confirm a date in September.
- Because of this postponement, our students do not get the chance to go to HKIMO 2019 through SLMC 2019 as HKIMO2019 is going to be held during August 30 – September 2, 2019.
- So we have decided to hold HKIMO Heats, the preliminary round of HKIMO, on June 29, 2019from 9 am to 10:30 am at the University of Colombo for a limited number of students. At the University of Colombo, an interactive session on HKIMO 2019 will be held after the competition from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm. Only the first 450 students who register will get the chance to participate in this interactive session.
- HKIMO is an Olympiad for every student who has some talent in mathematics, not just for those who have extraordinary talent in mathematics, and it is a wonderful opportunity for students to develop their talent in mathematics as this competition will be conducted here at 10 levels; primary 1 (grade 1), primary 2 (grade 2), primary 3 (grade 3), primary 4 (grade 4), primary 5(grade 5), primary 6 (grade 6), secondary 1 (grade 7), secondary 2 (grade 8), secondary 3 (grade 9), upper secondary (grades 10 and higher).
- All the competition papers will be set in the English and Chinese mediums by the Olympiad Champion Education Center in China. Each competition paper has questions from the 5 areas of logical thinking, arithmetic/algebra, number theory, geometry, and combinatorics. Each heat paper is of one and a half hour duration and has 5 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 25 short questions. Each final paper is of two hours duration and has 6 short questions from each of those 5 areas totaling to 30 short questions.
- For HKIMO Heats practice papers and answers click here.
Certificates and Awards
- Every student who participates at the HKIMO Heats receives a certificate of participation and has the opportunity to win Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. These certificates of participation and medals will be awarded by the following institution in China:
- Olympiad Champion Education Center Room 309-310, 8 Jordan Road, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China. Tel (852) 3153 2028 / 9310 1240 Fax (852) 3153 2074
- This institution will send SLOMF the certificates of participation and medals and we will award them at an awards ceremony here. Those students who win a bronze or a higher medal can go to HKIMO 2019scheduled to be held at the City University of Hong Kong on August 31, 2019 (Saturday).
- For further details on HKIMO click here.
- Registration fee for a student at any level is Rs. 4000.00. Please note that this covers the cost for the certificates of participation, medals and the awards ceremony here in Sri Lanka.
- Admission Cards will be available online, and you will be notified.
- Registration closes on June 28, 2019.
- For queries please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call WgCdr (rtd) P. Jayawickrama at 076 455 3219.
The HKIMO Heats was conducted at the University of Colombo on 29th June from 9:35 to 11:05 at the KG Hall and from 9:45 to 11:15 at the Tissue Culture Hall. It was followed by the interactive training session – which was done as two parallel programs; for the primary group at the KG Hall and for the secondary group at the Tissue Culture Hall.
The results will be made available for downloading through the parent/teacher login portal used to register the students. There will be an SMS notification when the results are published – which would be approximately in a weeks’ time.
Results – Heat Round 2019:
HKIMO 2019 Heat Round: Results
Award Ceremony – Heat Round
The Award Ceremony will take place in September. Date will be notified (through mobile notifications and a web notice) in due course.
International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) 2019
President Meets Sri Lanka Team to International Mathematical Olympiad
The President invited the Sri Lanka Team to IMO 2019 to wish them best of success at the upcoming 60th International Mathematical Olympiad. The event took place at the Presidential Secretariat. Among several academic luminaries present at the occasion were, the Chancellor of the University of Moratuwa, Prof. K. K. Y. W. Perera and the Vice Chancellor of Colombo University, Prof. Chandrika Wijeratne.
Sri Lanka Olympiad Mathematics Foundation selects the students with the best mathematical talent through a series of competitions and trains them for the IMO each year and has produced many a bronze medalist at this prestigious competition over the past 15 years. Officials of the Sri Lanka Technological Campus who helped to get this event underway were also present.
Seated from left: Dr. Chanakya Wijeratne (Senior Lecturer at University of Colombo / Former Head of Mathematics Department and founder / CEO of Olympiad Mathematics Foundation); Dr. Nishantha Perera (Head of the Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo); Eng. Ranjith Rubasinghe (CEO, SLTC), Mr. P.G. Kumarasinghe Sirisena (Chairman, SLT); Prof. K. K. R. Mahanama (Dean of the Faculty of Science, University of Colombo); Prof. Chandrika Wijeratne (Vice Chancellor of the University of Colombo); Prof. K. K. Y. W. Perera (Chancellor of the University of Moratuwa), His Excellency Maithripala Sirisena, the President of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka; Kisara Kodithuwakku (Richmond College, Galle); Sandaru Balahewa (Mahinda College, Galle); Ghaura Mahabaduge (Ananda College, Colombo); Sithija Kotuwewatte (Royal College, Colombo); Maneth Perera (Royal College, Colombo); Eng. R. Gunawardena (Director of Operations, SLTC)
Back row from left: Wg Cdr (rtd) Priyantha Jayawickrama (Director, SLOMF); Dr. Kaushika de Silva (Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Sri Jayawardenapura and Director, SLOMF); Dr. Dayal Dharmasena (Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo and Director Training, SLOMF); Dr. Jagath Wijeratne (Senior Lecturer and Former Head, Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo); Mr. M. S. K. Gunathilake (Deputy Principal, Ananda College, Colombo); Mr. P.M. G. G. Jayawardena (Principal, Mahinda College, Galle); Mr. Sampath Weragoda, (Principal, Richmond College, Galle), [Mrs. G. Mahabaduge; Dr. K. R. Fernando; Ms Nisansala Ramanayake; Ms. Lalani Lenora; Ms. Anoma Wickramaarachchi, Ms. Kumudini Wickramasuriya; Mr. H. K. Balahewa; Mr. G.W.S.K. Perera; Mr. KKSP Kodithuwakku](parents of the team); Dr. Anuradha Mahasinghe (Senior Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo)
Previously on IMO . . . . . . .
IMO Selection Tests 2019
- Selecting the IMO team had to be done on SLMC 2018 because of the postponement of SLMC 2019. But in countries with strong IMO programs country’s IMO team is selected from an IMO pool selected previous year as it allows providing year-long training to the IMO pool and selecting the most motivated students for the IMO from the pool. So we will follow the same method this year by selecting an IMO pool for 2020 from SLMC 2019 later this year.
- IMO team was selected from the top 50 Performers at SLMC 2018 who satisfy the age requirements of born on or after July 2nd 1999 and born on or after August 1st 2002 respectively.
- Selected Contestants for IMO Pool Selection Test (IMOPST) 2019: click here
- IMOPST 2019: Results
- IMO Team Selection Test (IMOTST) 2019: Results
The Sri Lanka Team to IMO 2019
Sri Lanka team for IMO 2019 has been selected from SLMC 2018 winners, through the challenge competition SLMCC 2019 and the IMO Team Selection Tests. They are currently undergoing a residential training program. The team will depart on 13th July to participate in the International Mathematical Olympiad 2019 which will be held at the University of Bath, England.
- The Sri Lankan Team:
- G. M. B. Perera, Royal College, Colombo
- T. V. N. Vithanachchi, Visakha Vidyalaya, Colombo
- K. S. Kodithuwakku, Richmond College, Galle
- G.A. Mahabaduge, Ananda College, Colombo
- S. A. Kotuwewatta, Royal College, Colombo
- S.T. Balahewa, Mahinda College, Galle
Sri Lankan Mathematics Competition (SLMC) 2019
SLMC 8, 11 and 13 will be held on a Saturday in September from 10:30 to 12 noon.
For further details click here
Admission cards of school and private applicants were posted to the schools and home addresses respectively by the Department of Examinations Sri Lanka in April.
If you have not received your admission card please send the following text to Wg Cdr (rtd) P. Jayawickrama at 076 455 3219:
Private Applicants: your name_pa_mobile no used to register & School Applicants: your name_school name_postal town_sa
Please click here
International Mathematics Competition (IMC) 2019
IMC Selection Test 2019
- IMC team was selected from the top 50 Performers at SLMC 2018 who satisfy the age requirements of born on or after July 2nd 1999 and born on or after August 1st 2002 respectively.
- Selected Contestants for IMC Team Selection Test (IMCTST) 2019: click here
- IMCTST Past Papers: click here
- IMCTST 2019 Question Paper: click here
- IMCTST 2019: Results
STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOU MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND STRETCH YOUR MIND
An Exciting Problem…
- To view the Problem: click here
- For the Solution: click here
Challenging Mathematics – Problem of the Week Competition
- A challenging mathematical problem is posted every week in the form of an MCQ, for you to try.
- To view the problem (and past quizzes): click here
- To compete, you should submit your answer before the deadline and should be below 18 on that date.
- Should submit both your answer (selected from five choices given), and your explanation.
- The first three
students to submit the correct answer with the most correct mathematical
explanation will get respectively:
- First Prize: Rs. 2000.00
- Second Prize: Rs. 1500.00
- Third Prize: Rs. 1000.00
How to Submit your Answer
- Three modes/options are available to submit your answers:
- Upload: click here
- Email: email@example.com
- Send by registered post, to the address: Dr. Chanakya Wijeratne, Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka.
To view the answer and to join the forum discussion
- View the answer:
- You can view the correct answer after you submit yours with or without an explanation
- Join the forum discussion:
- Forum is open for discussion of the question when the dead line expires.
- To join the forum: click here
NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS NEWS POSTS
News and Posts